Friday, January 26, 2007

Minor Allergic Reaction

Good morning, everyone! Sorry it's take me a couple of days to get back on here to let you all know how my treatment went on Wednesday. Basically, I had a minor allergic reaction to the meds, so they stopped the drip and want me to return next Wed. for a different mixture of my "coctail." No biggie, I guess.

Here's the details.... they had given me a saline drip, and then added benadryl to it. The benadryl knocked me out, and then they added herceptin (which is the main reason that they insisted that I take chemo). Well, sometime while I was asleep, Tim looked up and saw that I was all red and flushed. He stopped the machine and got the nurse. On top of that, my hands had also started to swell up. They monitored my temperature for a while (low-grade fever) and finally decided to just send me home instead of continuing. Now, the doctor said it could be from either the benadryl OR the herceptin. So, when I go back on Wed., they're giving me less benadryl to make sure it isn't the herceptin that I'm reacting to.

If it is indeed that drug, then I don't know what I'm going to get done. The herceptin is in response to a specific cell marker that was found in my tumor, and was one of the more important drugs that I will be taking. I'll let you all know how that turns out, though.

Meanwhile, I ended up going home and just spending the rest of Wed. and most of Thursday sleeping, trying to get back into the swing of things. I am starting to feel better now, but we'll see how today goes. We were talking about heading up to Atlanta to see Tim's family, but I have to make sure my shift is covered at work before I can just take off.

Oh, and one more thing that I almost forgot to share... NOTHING tastes good anymore! Water is gross, soda is gross, juice is gross... how can a girl stay hydrated when everything is just nasty? Don't even get me started on food. Maybe I will lose some weight with this after all!

On a good note, however, I have "met" (via e-mail) someone who has had breast cancer, and she lives in this area. She is a professional photographer, and is interested in helping me "record" different events during my fight through this, free of charge! What an amazing gift! So, her and I will be talking next week to brainstorm some ideas. I would really like to have a record of what I am going through to show my girls when they get older. Ash will remember a lot of this, but not all of it, and I want to put a more positive spin on things so that they can remember that this is not ALL bad. There is some good coming from this... somewhere down the line!

Anyways, I guess that's about it for now. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Love, ~Brenda

4 comments:

Aimee said...

I'll be praying it's the benedryl! And how cool the woman wants to do that for you. Your sister in law is busting hump to get donations...she's awesome (your brother too!)
XOXO
Aimee

Aimee said...

Would you like to??? It can be arranged! Really, most the people have really goofy team names like that...or some sort of play on boobs, breast. Like team give it your breast shot. They're funny and light hearted.

Unknown said...

You are so fortunate to have so many friends and family supporting you during your treatment and fight against cancer.

Although everything tastes "yucky", you have to maintain your nutrition. Having researched so much, you already know the importance of eating/drinking the right foods/liquids. (Ok, your mother-in-law will stop giving advice.)

By the way, our Church's team for Relay for Life has started working towards the June 2007 relay. There will be many "lumineries" burning for you and donations made in your honor.

We love you!

Aimee said...

Sample letter is up! It includes links and everything. Your sister in-law wrote it and I think it's awesome!

If you have any friends who would like to help fundraise, I think it's a good sample letter and with minor adjustments it can work for anyone.
XOXO
Aimee